My Former Life as a Flamenco Guitarist




From 1988 thru 2003 I had the privilege of being the company guitarist for the Louisville-based flamenco company-Ballet Espanol. Ballet Espanol was founded by Mara Maldonado- a world-class, highly skilled, and wonderfully artistic flamenco dancer.


Ballet Espanol at a 1994 performance at Louisville's  Iroquois Amphitheater

 During my 15 year tenure with Ballet Espanol I had many tremendous opportunities to work with some of the finest dancers, guitarists, and singers in the world. We traveled across the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Indiana, and Tennessee presenting this ancient artform. Among the many artists that I had the opportunity to work with were: guitarist Pedro Cortez, guitarist Arturo Martinez, dancer Victorio, dancer extraordinaire Angel Munoz, dancer Peter Suarez, and singer Jesus Montoya.


Ballet Espanol in a 1999 performance at the Clifton Center in Louisville

Through my association with Ballet Espanol, I had the privilege of performing with company for two sitting Kentucky Governors: Brereton Jones (1991-1995) and Paul Patton (1995-2003).


A 1995 performance for Governor Brereton Jones at the Governors Mansion. L to R: yours truly, Gov. Jones, Mara Maldonado, Tomas Baccala, and Carletta Delonjay

With Governor and Mrs. Paul Patton for a taping of the KET program 'In Performance at the Governors Mansion'

Below is a link to a guitar duo by Dr. Bob Elliot (a Lexington psychologist/flamenco guitarist) and me for 1999 KET installment of "In Performance at the Governors Mansion".

Ballet Espanol Guitarists In Performance at the Governors Mansion


One of my favorite flamenco guitarists that I worked and studied with over my time with Ballet Espanol was my friend Arturo Martinez. Arturo is one of the top flamenco players in New York City and simply a wonderful and generous human being.


Arturo in performance


I called this group "The Flamenco Mafia"- L to R: Arturo Martinez, Bob Elliot, yours truly, a singer from Spain (sorry, I cannot recall his name) and Oliver- a cajon player from India.





I love this photo because of where it was taken: the Federal Penitentiary in Lexington, Kentucky. Most of the audience loved every bit of our performance- including the beautiful female dancers. From L- R: yours truly, phenomenal dancer Peter Saurez, dancer Carletta Delonjay, and dancer Mariya Terakanova


Me with Arturo Martinez at the 2003 Fall Arts Festival at the Community College

     

  

Ballet Espanol at the 2003 Fall Arts Festival at Jefferson Community College


As mentioned earlier, I enjoyed a 15-year run with Ballet Espanol. The many people that I met and worked with over those years are a prized and treasured memory. In November of 2003 Ballet Espanol gave its farewell performance as a part of the Kentucky Arts Center's World Rhythms series at the Brown Theater. Since, many of Mara's former students have branched off in their on dance groups and continue the tradition set by Mara to this day!


Ballet Espanol's last "hurrah"- a November 2003 World Rhythms performance at Louisville's Brown Theater. Included in this photo L to R: Singer/dancer Graciela Perone, yours truly, dancer Diana Dinicola, dancer Mariya Tarakanova, guitarist Arturo Martinez, dancer Aseel Al-Banna, Miss Mara, singer Jesus Montoya, several students of Mara's, and singer Vincente Griego,