Quick Look at a Roosebeck Descant Lute

My 7 course (13-strings) Roosebeck Descant Lute!


I used to be a full-fledged "luter" in my younger days. I got my first lute (an 8-course by Aria) for Christmas 1976. Although I still have that lute its days as a playable instrument are essentially over! In 1984 I purchased a 13-course Baroque lute from a high school friend in Lexington, KY. By the turn of the millennium my interests in music had changed and I ended up selling it to a guitar student from the University of Louisville.

This past summer I came across what have been collectively and rather jokingly called "Ebay-lutes" under the name Roosebeck. In reality these lutes are factory-made jobs from Turkey. I was fully aware that there is no way these Turkish lutes are on par with hand-made instruments from Europe and the U.S. however, I was interested in at least having one in case there was a need for me to play lute for some occasion. Here is a link to Roosebeck instruments:  Roosebeck Lutes

Most of the cheaper Roosebeck lutes sold on Ebay are essentially "blemished" models. I found new, unblemished ones for well under $600.00 available on Amazon.com. When mine arrived I was somewhat surprised at the size of the descant lute-- it is little!
This lute is roughly the size of a baritone uke.
    It took a bit before I was able to find the right body position to hold it. As far as the workmanship- it is not too bad for a factory-made instrument. Below are some photos of my lute.
The back strips of flame maple.

A close up of the body/neck connection.

A nice laser-cut rose!
The bridge features two types of wood (maple and rosewood)
Nice laser-cut design on the back of the peg-box!
The lute came with a rather worthless 'gigbag', my wife got me a Roosebeck case for Christmas that the lute fits nicely in!
Pros: Once tuned it holds tune very nicely!
         Nylon frets- they tend to not wear out like gut frets!

Cons: Factory made- and yes I wasn't expecting a $5,000 hand made lute so I don't mind.
         Very difficult to hold because of its size.

Sound: I have mine tuned to 'A'. It is the lutes "sweet spot" as far as sound and projection. For a     little thing it does a nice job projecting.

Below is a link to my Soundcloud page to hear what this lute sounds like:
Roosebeck Lute Demo

Over all these Roosebeck instruments are great for a beginner or novice wanting to learn to play a lute.  For no more than I play this little thing does nicely!

My venerable old 8-course Aria next to my new Roosebeck descant lute!