My Former Life as a Classical Guitarist: Part Two


In 1979 I began my teaching career at Jefferson Community College (while it was under the University of Kentucky!). Essentially I began the first collegiate guitar program in Louisville with dozen's of would-be classical guitarists taking classes and lessons with me.


Jefferson Community College guitar students from 1982.

The University of Louisville School of Music
Between 1979 and 1985 I taught many community college students- most of which were aspiring rock stars.... In 1985 I began the collegiate guitar studio at the University of Louisville School of Music. This was a major step up from the community college level program.

1985 UofL School of Music flier with yours truly pictured with the string faculty.

I taught guitar and directed the UofL Guitar Ensemble between 1985-1990. Over the course of those five years I worked with many promising students-many of whom earned bachelors and later graduate degrees in guitar.

The 1986 UofL Guitar Studio


The 1987 UofL Guitar Studio

A photo from the 1986 Louisville Cardinal with student and now UofL music faculty member Chris Fitzgerald
Me with former student Dr. Brian Luckett and my successor at UofL Richard Goering.
A 1985 photo of me with my Baroque Lute at the Speed Art Museum doing a Renaissance music program--yes in a period costume....

Jefferson Community and Technical College

In 1990 I began a tenure-track position as music history professor at Jefferson Community College. At this point I essentially retired from active guitar instruction and concentrated on teaching academic music history courses. I continued performing classical guitar for about five years until my involvement with local flamenco troupe- Ballet Espanol -began to supersede my classical performance activities.

 Over the 1980's and 90's, I had the opportunity to work with  wonderful music groups such as The Louisville Chorus, Shakespeare in the Park, Music Theater Louisville, and The Ceruti Chamber Players.

Throughout the early 90's I was able to enjoy attending classical guitar master classes and performances with some of the leading guitarists of that time.


Me with guitarist Christopher Parkening in 1991

Me with guitarist Pepe Romero in1992.

One the genuine thrills of my guitar years was hearing and meeting Andres Segovia in 1984. Above is his autograph!

 *   *   *   *   *

By the 1995 I became chair of the music department at the community college and remained so until 2012. With my responsibilities of running the music department and a shift to studying music technology I essentially retired from public guitar playing by late 2003.

The need for career and financial stability basically superseded any interest in continuing my career as a professional guitarist. With chronic financial issues associated with higher education and an emphasis toward less arts funding and career outlook trying to maintain a living in classical guitar for me was not sustainable.