Performing at Carnegie Hall!

The Stern Auditorium at Carnegie Hall!
  

It's an old joke. A fellow goes to New York City to attend a concert, but gets lost. He spots another fellow who's carrying a violin case. "Sir, can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?"  the Musician smiles and says, "Practice, practice, practice."

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever consider that one day I would play guitar in an orchestra at Carnegie Hall! In the summer of 2023 I had an opportunity to do just that with the True North Orchestra.

Tim Sharp, a recently retired Director of the American Choral Directors Association and published composer.

As it was a fellow Belmont music alumni of mine Dr. Tim Sharp is music director/conductor for Carnegie Hall's choral music concerts. Tim was to conduct the True North Chorus and Orchestra in a 50th Anniversary of Buryl Red's  choral work 'Celebrate Life' at Carnegie. The chorus was made up of interested persons who grew up with 'Celebrate Life'. 

I asked Tim if they could use an acoustic guitarist and he worked it out for me to play in the orchestra. It certainly was a once in a lifetime experience for me as well as those playing in the orchestra! 

The sign says it all!

Scenes from the rehearsal and performance.


The guys behind me were professional pickers from Nashville! They were incredible!!!

Personal photography in Carnegie was discourage yet, I managed to slip in a "selfie" from the stage..


The Stern Auditorium is an amazingly beautiful concert hall both in aesthetics and acoustic properties!


The Green Room off the stage in the Stern Auditorium featured posters of famous musicians who performed there. This included a classical guitar idol Andres Segovia!


Following the concert my wife Terri and I attended a wonderful New York Harbor Cruise and dinner!