Yamaha NCX1200R Acoustic/Electric Nylon String Guitar Mini Review

Yamaha's NCX1200R Acoustic/Electric Nylon String Guitar
If you have asked me a few months ago that I would own a Yamaha guitar I likely would have dismissed it. In all honesty I had not considered the Yamaha guitar brand for decades.

Needless to say, it was time to replace my 1986 Asturas flamenco/electric which in turn led to canvasing the mid-range, solid wood nylon acoustic/electric market. There is a small niche market for nylon stringers that somewhat narrowed options so, my choices choices were limited. I had a few absolute musts in purchasing a new nylon acoustic/electric: 1) it had to be all solid wood- no laminated top, back, and sides. 2) I was looking for a guitar with a rich, "sweet" tone- no bright "cedar-top"sounding guitar for me.  My short list comprised of the following: Taylor 214ce-N, Cordoba Fusion Orchestra, Kremona Rondo, and the Yamaha NCX 1200R. All the research and reviews came out in the Yamaha's favor.  

After making my decision I visited my guy at the local Guitar Center to check into trying one out. I assumed they would not have a NCX1200R in stock but, what surprised me was if I wanted to have them order one I had to buy it without trying it out. Luckily Guitar Center has a 30 day money back if you didn't like it. I paid for it and five days later I picked it up at the store.

The top is a beautiful cut of solid Sitka spruce, solid Rosewood back and sides, African Mahogany neck, 52mm neck width, and the pièce de résistance- Acoustic Resonance Transducer (A.R.T.) preamp and pickup system. Check out the photos below!


The back of the NCX1200R

A close-up of the inlaid rosette


A close-up of the pegbox. 

A close-up of the electronics package.


A close-up of the 9volt battery housing.


Looking down the "barrel"!

When I brought it home I plugged it into my Fishman LoudBox Mini- This thing had the sweet, spruce-top sound that I prefer. Amplified it projected a rich, sonorous sound! The playing action was dead-on.

I had a hard time putting the guitar down! It is such a pleasure to play. Although this guitar was manufactured in China it is solid. Check out the excerpts below that I made with the NCX 1200R!


Yamaha NCX1200R Demo" Canon (excerpt) - Pachelbel

I will have to see how it holds up over the coming months but, I am quite pleased with this little gem. For what I paid for it I can attest that it is a great bargain! For more information check out the link below!

Yamaha NCX 1200R